Outdoor Amplified Sound Event Special Use Permit (OASEUP)

Apply Here for the Outdoor Amplified Sound Event Special Use Permit


An Outdoor Amplified Sound Event Special Use Permit (OASEUP) may be granted for an organization wishing to hold more than eight outdoor amplified sound events in a calendar year pursuant to Sec. 16-103 (d).

The City Manager shall base the decision to approve, approve with conditions or deny in whole or in part an OASUP in consideration of the following criteria:

  1. Proximity of the proposed outdoor sound events to residential neighborhoods, medical facilities and schools
  2. The applicant’s history of past compliance with the requirements of the City’s noise regulations
  3. The hardship to the applicant, the community and others if additional outdoor sound events are not permitted against the adverse impact of the health, safety and welfare of persons affected
  4. Any site-specific considerations

Please note that the permit will not authorize sound which exceeds 75 dBA from the nearest receiving property. Outdoor amplified sound permits will only be available from 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and from 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

Following the submittal of an application, the applicant is required to hold a neighborhood meeting with residents and business owners within 300’ of the exterior property line of the proposed event location.  The purpose of the meeting is to provide the opportunity for neighboring property owners and tenants to become aware of the proposed increase to allowed outdoor amplified sound events.  It is the responsibility of the applicant to coordinate with City staff to notify residents and businesses in the radius ten days in advance of the date, time and location of the meeting.  A staff member will attend the meeting to observe.

Following the neighborhood meeting, the City Manager will determine the outcome of the application. The City Manager’s decision may be appealed within seven days of the decision date by the applicant or any resident or business owner within 300’ of the event location by filing a written notice with the City Manager.

City Council shall then conduct a public hearing on the appeal following notice to the applicant and any resident or business owner within 300’ of the event location. Council may uphold, modify or reverse the City Manager’s decision in whole or in part.